Tribute to the Military

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Year of the Blog

In light of recent events (more recent than Katrina) that
produces embarrassing journalistic "high points" such as this:

Is it any wonder that newspapers are floundering in their own failures? And that more and more people are turning to alternative media, such as blogs?

The media hysteria surrounding Katrina is still disgusting, as many people still believe the myths; and MSM still regards its coverage as a high point in journalism.

I'm not a harsh critic on the media over their misreporting of the 12 miners, last night. And I certainly think it's ridiculous for those wishing to assign blame for their emotional turmoil to threaten with lawsuits. Sometimes there are honest mistakes and that's just the way it is.

But there is plenty to blame-hand the media for. One thing I hate, is how FOX, MSNBC, and CNN did the around-the-clock style of reporting in Virginia. I feel for the family members who are on edge, I really do; but I don't need to follow the story like that. I want to hear what else is going on in the world; and all I am being offered is analysts telling me nothing new, that they haven't already covered an hour ago. It's like this slow speed pursuit by the local FOX network I witnessed a few years ago. I sat there watching, because they had pre-empted a favorite TV program, and I kept hoping they would let it go and just give me the round-up at 10pm, during their regular news time slot. But they didn't. They followed this slow-speed pursuit for the entire hour. I could just as well be watching paint dry instead of listening to the newscaster say, "and there he turned on his turn signal to make another lane change..." What a complete waste of time! The only thing I can think of, is that they are capitalizing on the potential sensationalism. Even though they will never admit to it, but the only reason for such live coverage is the potential to see some grisly end; something network censors will not allow, should the event not be covered live.

An addiction for if-it-bleeds-it-leads tragedy TV and agenda-driven journalism are reasons not often acknowledged by those who still rely on MSM for shaping their understanding of events unfolding in the world. Amazing that there are those who still live in denial over liberal media bias. From Mapes, to Rather, to CBS' Les Mooves.

This isn't to say that there isn't a place for mainstream media in this new world. The ones who will survive will be the ones who learn to adapt and make use of new media; but what should occur is a weaning away from the over-reliance from any one, single media news outlet.

In closing, I'd like to thank Bos'un for inviting me over to help contribute to his fine blog!

Hat tip: Radioblogger for the photo.

2 comments:

Bos'un said...

Good comments Wordsmith, That miner accident was a really bad goofup for MSM.

We also printed a story from Canada a few weeks ago that was started by a Canadian Coalition news release and one of the east coast newspapers about a liberal candidate. But, the fact was the candidate did not utter some potentially insensitve remarks (one of the other folks in his party did). There were two sources reporting that and the next day, we printed another story chastizing the Canadian Coalition.

As for the mine accident, true it was a mistake and confusion. However, MSM should have caught this goofup. This was very painful for the families and we are talking about victims who perished. That requires to utmost sensitivity.

My heart really feels so bad for those affected families. For sure we will be talking about fair and balanced reporting for a long time to come.

Rosemary Welch said...

Great job, and welcome aboard! I'm in the middle of putting together a list of what I've been doing at the different sites, and I've included some of the others. Two of your made it! :)

Dear Bos'un,
I wrote one on Mr. Stokely. That is why I didn't choose yours. Maybe I could? This is for my home page. What do you think? I have so many links as it is, do you think the same news would be okay? Let me know what think. :)